- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 3 large leeks, thinly sliced
- 4 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage, chopped
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon, divided heavy cream
- 3 cups chicken or veggie broth
- Kosher salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 12 ounces (about 2 cups) russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 10 ounce bag frozen peas
- 4 Bubbe's Chicken Soup Sausages (1, 12 ounce package), cut until 1/4 inch slices
- 1 14 ounce box frozen puff pastry dough, thawed
DirectionsPlace a rack in center of oven; preheat to 400°.
In a large cast iron skillet, melt butter. Add leeks, celery, and carrots and cook until softened, about 7 minutes. Add garlic and fresh herbs and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Add flour and cook to a blonde roux, 2 minutes. Add wine and cook off, about 2 minutes. Slowly add 1 cup cream, whisking into flour and veggie mixture. Add broth and cook until mixture is slightly thickened, 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
Add potatoes, peas, and sausage, folding in to fully incorporate. Transfer mixture to a 9-inch pie dish or leave in cast iron.
Roll out 14 oz. puff pastry on a lightly floured surface into a square large enough to cover skillet (or pie dish) with some overhang. Drape pastry over skillet and trim so that there is a 1 inch border. Fold the pastry underneath itself and crimp the edges with the tines of a fork.
Brush top of pastry with reserved 1 tablespoon cream. Cut 5 small slits in the center so steam can escape. Place skillet on a baking sheet in case any filling bubbles over. Bake pot pie until crust is golden brown, 25 minutes, rotating halfway through.
Reduce oven temperature to 350° and continue to bake until filling is bubbling around the edges and crust is well browned, 30–35 minutes longer. Let sit at least 15 minutes before serving.