- 1 package (4 sausages) Bubbe's Chicken Soup Sausages
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, to coat pot
- 1 medium sweet onion or half of a large onion, diced
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 celery sticks. sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated turmeric (or 1 teaspoon ground)
- 5 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup pearl or Israeli couscous
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lemon for serving
Place a large dutch oven or pot over medium high heat and add in oil to coat. Add in sliced Bubbe’s Chicken Soup Sausage and cook until lightly browned.
Next, add onions and garlic and cook until onions begin to get translucent, about 3 minutes. Once softened, add carrots and celery and cook until slightly softened.
Next add in grated ginger and grated turmeric. Sauté and toss with ingredients in pot to let flavors develop, then add in chicken broth.
Season with salt and pepper. About a teaspoon each to start. Adjust to taste!
Bring soup to a boil, then stir in couscous.
Reduce heat to medium low and simmer covered for 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes, couscous should be al dente. Add peas and cover for 5 more minutes to cook.
Serve immediately and serve with an optional squeeze of lemon to taste.