- 1 large bulb fennel, fronds reserved if you’ve got them
- 1 medium bowl of ice water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon pickled red onion (see our pickled red onion recipe!)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely minced
Cut fennel bulb in half vertically. Using a mandolin, very thinly slice it into crescents (Note: you don’t need to core the fennel bulb when you’re slicing it this thinly). If you have the fennel fronds, roughly chop them.
Submerge fennel slices and fronds in the ice water while you prepare your vinaigrette--this gets them nice and crunchy.
In a small bowl, whisk sugar, salt, citrus juice, olive oil and Dijon together.
Remove fennel from ice water and transfer to a bowl. Pour vinaigrette over and add onions, zest and herbs. Toss until well combined.