- Pickled Red Onion
- 1⁄2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup ice cubes
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Blue Cheese Dressing
- 1 cup mayo
- 1⁄2 cup half and half or whole milk
- 2 tablespoon creme fraiche or sour cream
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1⁄4 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 3 oz crumbled blue cheese (about 1⁄2 cup)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil (like vegetable or canola)
- 4 Seemore Loaded Baked Potato sausages, casings removed, crumbled
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
First, make the pickled red onions. In a small saucepan, whisk vinegar, sugar and salt together over medium heat until sugar and salt are fully dissolved. Add ice cubes and stir until melted. Place sliced onions in a jar with a lid and pour liquid over them. Let sit at room temperature for an hour.Note: This makes a lot of pickled onions that will last at least 2 weeks in the fridge. The pickling liquid also makes a good salad dressing—just mix with olive oil and dijon mustard!
In a medium bowl, whisk together the first five ingredients until smooth. Reserve 1⁄4 cup of blue cheese for sprinkling and add the rest to the bowl, lightly crushing it with the back of a spoon while you mix it in to release the flavors. Taste for seasoning and adjust. Set aside.
In a large sauté pan over medium heat, add vegetable oil and cook until shimmering. Add sausages and using the back of a spoon, crumble them into small pieces. Cook until browned and crispy — about 8 minutes. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon and transfer to a paper towel for draining.