- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 package Bubbe’s Chicken Soup Sausage or La Dolce Beet-A sausage, roughly chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1-2 teaspoons crushed red pepper (depending on desired spiciness)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 23oz can crushed tomatoes (for dried soaked beans) -OR- 1 15oz can crushed tomatoes (for canned beans)
- 8oz dried white beans soaked overnight -OR-1 15 oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bunch kale, destemmed and roughly chopped
- Kosher salt
- Parmesan rind
- Parmesan for serving
DirectionsHeat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a Dutch oven until shimmering. Add diced sausage and cook, stirring occasionally until they are thoroughly browned.
Remove sausage from Dutch oven and set aside.
Add remaining tablespoon of olive oil to the Dutch oven, along with onions, carrots, celery and garlic. Season with salt and crushed red pepper and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft and fragrant.
Deglaze pan with red wine vinegar, scraping up the brown bits that have accumulated at the bottom of the pan.
Add chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, beans and parmesan rind and bring to a boil.
Once the mixture has come to a boil, lower heat to a simmer and cook, lid askew, for an hour.
After an hour, add chopped kale and browned sausage.
Cook one more hour, lid still askew.
Taste for seasoning (I usually add more red wine vinegar and chili flake), before topping with grated parmesan for serving.