- 2 loaves (about 14 oz each) sourdough bread, cut or torn into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons, divided olive oil
- 4 Bubbe's Chicken Soup Sausages (1, 12 ounce package)
- 2 tablespoons, plus more for the pan unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, trimmed and diced
- 1 medium fennel bulb, cored and diced
- 2 cups mushrooms (any kind), cleaned and sliced
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons fresh sage, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 large eggs
- Fresh parsley for garnish
DirectionsPreheat oven to 400 and butter a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Add the bread cubes to two large baking sheets and drizzle with ¼ cup olive oil. Toast for about 20-22 minutes, tossing the bread around halfway through, and rotating pans, until golden brown and crispy.
Meanwhile, in a large dutch oven or cast iron skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and add mushrooms, coating in the oil. Cook undisturbed until mushrooms are golden brown and crispy, about 7 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil and add sausage. Crumble sausage with the back of a wooden spoon. Cook over medium heat until sausage is crisp, about 5-7 minutes. Remove sausage with a slotted spoon and set aside in same bowl as mushrooms.
Add butter to the same skillet and, once melted, add onions, celery, and fennel. Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until onions are soft and translucent and the celery and fennel are very tender.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the fresh herbs, then deglaze the pan with the white wine, making sure to scrape up any brown bits that have formed on the bottom of the pan. Cook until half of the wine has cooked off.
In a medium bowl, whisk broth and eggs. In a very large mixing bowl or pot, combine the vegetable mixture with the toasted bread cubes, sausage, and mushrooms. Add the stock mixture and toss so that the bread cubes are slightly moistened.
Add the stuffing mixture to the prepared baking dish. Bake at 400 for about 30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.