- Sausage Walnut Crumble:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 links La Dolce Beet-A sausage, removed from casing and finely crumbled or chopped
- ½ cup raw walnuts, blitzed in a food processor to a breadcrumb-like consistency
- Grilled Sallad:
- 1 small head radicchio, cut through the core into 4-6 wedges
- 1 large fennel bulb, sliced lengthwise, fronds removed and reserved if you have them
- ¼ cup olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- ½ bunch parsley leaves, half roughly chopped and the rest left whole
- ½ bunch mint leaves, half roughly chopped and the rest left whole
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- ½ tsp honey
- Parmesan or pecorino for shaving (optional, but recommended)
Make your sausage crumble:
Preheat your grill for at least 15 minutes.
Add 2 tbs olive oil to a large cast-iron skillet and place on the grill over medium-high heat until shimmering.
Add beet sausage and cook, crumbling sausage further with the back of a spoon until the fat renders and edges of sausages are crispy, but still bright pink--about 5 minutes.
Remove sausage crumbles with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel. With the pan still on the heat, add the crumbled walnuts to the pan and toast them in the pork fat until deeply fragrant and fried--about 4 minutes.
Transfer walnuts to paper towel with sausage crumbles and allow to cool to room temp.
Grill your veg:
Brush the radicchio and fennel with olive oil on their cut sides and season all over with salt and pepper. Grill over medium-high heat until char marks appear--about 5 minutes. Repeat on all cut sides until they are grilled all over--about 3-5 minutes more.
Transfer vegetables to a cutting board and allow them to cool until they are cool enough to be handled. While they cool, make your dressing in a bowl by whisking lemon juice, mustard and honey together and slowly drizzling the ¼ up of oil in until emulsified.
Slice cooled vegetables about ⅓-¼ inch thick and toss in the dressing along with the diced mint and parsley until coated. Season to taste.
Plate salad and sprinkle with sausage walnut crumble, whole herbs, fennel fronds, and shaved cheese.